Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cereal!




There is nothing better than a bowl of cereal! I was thinking the other day, while enjoying a fabulous bowl of fruity pebbles, just how much I love cereal. What better to do than blog about it! Although cereal is meant to be a breakfast food, it is more like an anytime of the day meal for me. In fact, I rarely eat cereal in the morning. This is due to the fact that I am almost always running late, which means I always eat on the go in the morning. I enjoy a bowl of cereal as a mid day snack, and as a night time snack. When I was a poor college student at SUNY Cortland, cereal often took the place of main meals.

Most of the cereals we all know and love are produced by a corporation called General Mills. Such cereals include; Cheerios, Kix, Chex, Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs, Cookie Crisp, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Total, Wheaties, and many more. There is a plethora of cereals within one aisle of every super market! Some of my favorite cereals include Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Lucky Charms, Pops, Trix, and the list goes on. There are very healthy cereals out there as well that contain less sugar and more fiber. However, my heart lies with the sugary cereals.

Vocabulary
1. rarely-
infrequent, seldom, almost never
2. 'running late'- describing a person that is tardy and not be on time
3. 'eat on the go'- someone who eats while performing another activity due to lack of time
4. SUNY Cortland- A 4 year college located in upstate New York (about 41/2 hours away). Considered a state school.
5. General Mills- An American corporation that markets many well known food brand names.
6. plethora- an overabundance, excess.
7. fiber- food containing a high amount of such carbohydrates, as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
8.'my heart lies with'- describing what you like or love a lot.

Cloze Exercise
1.
I attend a great state school about 41/2 hours upstate called ___________________.
2. According to the labels, this cereal is high in _____________.
3. Can you let my boss know I am ___________________. I got flat tire on the way to work.
4. Many people prefer Cheerios, but __________________ lies with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
5. Matt _______________ goes shopping at the Mall.
6. I never seem to have time to eat before work, so I always ________________.
7. There is a _______________ of toys in Toys "R"Us.
8. Most cereals and other popular food brand names are marketed by ______________, an American corporation.

Grammar Point-Plurals
Plurals are used with nouns to describe more than on of something. There are several rules to making nouns plural. Most nouns are made plural by adding an -s to the end like in kids. Sometime there is a need for an -es at the end of the noun like in buses. There are also irregular plurals that change in the middle like in feet. These must simply be memorized. Many plurals can be seen in my text. For example, pebbles, meals, Charms, Puffs, etc. Now, choose the correct plural from the questions below and write which plural rule it is.

1. Look at all the yellow ___________.
a) buss b) buses

2. Everyone has two _____________.
a) foots b) feet

3) I try to eat 3 solid _____________ every day.
a) meals b) meales

Link
http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/category.aspx?catID=19412&groupID=19412

Here is the link to all the cereals that General Mills produces. Hopefully you can find a new great cereal to try!

2 comments:

  1. Great anecdote about the role of cereal in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm..

    I think Lucky Charms is my favorite all time. They would probably have to battle it out with Fruit Loops and Corn Pops (not General Mills? - and certainly not healthy) for that honor though.

    ReplyDelete