Friday, November 13, 2009

Memphis


A few weeks ago, I attended a phenomenal musical called Memphis. Every year, all the women on my mother's side of the family plan a girls day out. Each year we attend some type of show on Broadway. This year, we decided on a musical. I was a bit apprehensive of seeing a musical, because they are generally not my cup of tea. However, upon seeing this musical, my opinion drastically changed.


This musical is playing at The Shubert Theatre on West 44th Street in New York City. Memphis is a musical about an aspiring black singer and a white DJ who come together in the segregated South during the early days of Rock 'n' Roll in the early 1950's. It is a compelling story of two talented young people, their forbidden love, and the problems that come with success. It is actually a story based on true events.


What surprised me about this musical is that it truly moved me. I was able to connect to the characters in ways I usually cannot when viewing a musical. There a few moments that actually brought me to tears. If you want to see great story, hear great music, and watch talented actors perform on Broadway, there is no better show than Memphis!






Vocabulary
1. phenomenal- very great or impressive
2. apprehensive- worried or nervous about something that you going to do; or about the future
3. 'not my cup of tea'- describing some thing you do not like or prefer
4. aspiring- hoping to be successful in a particular job, activity, or way of life
5. segregated- (in this case) an area where an institution(s) can only be attended by members of one race.
6. compelling- very interesting or exciting, so that you have to pay attention
7. 'moved me'- made you feel strong emotions, especially sadness or sympathy


Cloze Exercise:
1. In the mid 1900's, many areas of the United States of America were ______________ based on race.
2. Football games are usually not ________________.
3. Kaitlyn, I saw a _____________ musical last night!
4. The characters' acting and the plot of the show truly ________________.
5. I am a bit _______________ about going watching this scary movie.
6. Joey is an ______________ young actor.
7. The convention we attended today about positive thinking was very ________________.



Grammar Point: Articles
Articles are words that combine with a noun to indicate the type of reference being made to the noun. There are two types major of articles; definite and indefinite articles. Definite articles refer to a specific and distinct noun. In English that article is the. Indefinite articles refer to any non specific noun. In English that article is a, or an. You can see examples of these articles within my text. For example; "Memphis is a musical", ..."and the problems that come with success."


Below, write 4 sentences. Two sentences using the definite articles the, and two sentences with the indefinite articles a, or an.










Link:
Here is a link to the Memphis website. Here you can check out the story line, characters, actors' names and biographies, ticket cost and purchasing, and much more. I hope you all get the chance to see this musical!


3 comments:

  1. I very much enjoy Broadway musicals, but I haven't heard of this one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rave review for Memphis. I, too had not heard of it before now.

    I like how you link to the website at the bottom of the post and include the idiom 'my cup of tea' as vocabulary. Clutch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great musical. I am hoping to go to see White Christmas soon.

    ReplyDelete