Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Salamanca, Spain



Salamanca is a gorgeous little city in Spain. It seems to simply appear out of thin air. The trip there is through rural, plain, country side. Then, miraculously, the breath taking sight of the two cathedrals appear, and you are in heaven. Salamanca is one of the most amazing places in the world because it encompasses all that you would expect from Spain. For example, old architecture, modern art, and an amazing night life.


Waking up in the morning and walking to class in Salamanca was as if the city existed solely for you. Not many people were yet walking the streets, the plaza was a vast and empty square filled with only your tiny self, and the towering buildings dating back to the 1700s staring down at you as you walked. The feeling was both uplifting, as if I could float away, but yet grounding, as I felt so small with such history surrounding me.


As I sift through the slide show of memories of my time spent in Salamanca, it is as if it were the best dream I have ever had. However, there are little remnants that prove my time there was real. I still have the taste of tapas and red wine on my lips. I still have the sound of my host mother's voice yelling, "¡A comer!" I still have the heat on my skin of the sun radiating off the stone floor of the Plaza.

If you desire to see such an eloquent balance of the modern and the historical, you should book your next travel destination to Salamanca, Spain. If you desire to taste the most invigorating foods and wines, you should be in Salamanca. I know the next chance I get at traveling, I will be heading back to that beautiful city where the streets come alive.



Grammar Point
Types of Sentences-simple, compound, complex, compound-complex

1) Simple-includes a subject and a verb and expresses complete thought
Example from text: "I still have the taste of tapas and red wine on my lips."


2) Compound- includes two independent clauses followed by a coordinator (preceded by a comma). Coordinators are for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. You can use FANBOYS to remember them.
Example from text: "Then, miraculously, the breath taking sight of the cathedrals appear, and you are in heaven."


3) Complex- includes an independent clause joined by one or more dependent clauses. A complex sentence always has a subordinator such as; because, since, after, although, or when. Or, a relative pronoun such as; that, who, or which.
Example from text: "Salamanca is one of the most amazing places in the world because it encompasses all that you would expect from Spain."

4) Compound-Complex- include at least two independent clauses and one or more dependent clauses.
Example from text: "Not many people were yet walking the streets, the plaza was a vast empty square filled with only our tiny self, and the towering buildings dating back to the 1700s staring down at you as you walked."


It is important to recognize and make use of all of these types of sentences in your writing. When writing a persuasive piece, it is also important to include evaluative language (inclusion of adjectives to describe things in detail), modals (should or must), and reasons as to why the reader or listener should agree. I hope I have persuaded you to visit or at least ponder visiting Spain. Here is a link with information about visiting Salamanca. ¡Disfruta!






No comments:

Post a Comment